You & Sea, West of Scotland's RYA Marine Training Centre FAQs

Practical Courses

What will I need to bring with me?

Lifejackets will be supplied by the training centre, however you are more than welcome to bring and wear your own, at the discretion of the instructor. Please bring clothing relevant to the time of year – this should include some or all of the following: waterproof clothing, waterproof boots/shoes, hat, gloves, sunglasses, sun cream. We don’t expect your clothes to get wet but bring a spare change of clothes just in case. All Powerboat courses are non-residential but some of the motor cruiser courses are residential and you will be staying on board.

What time do the courses start and finish?

The courses all start at 9am unless otherwise specified. Powerboat Level 2 and intermediate courses should finish around 5pm. Part of the advanced powerboat course will require a night navigation exercise which will normally be conducted on night 1. The duration of the night passage is normally between 2.5 & 3 hours.
Motor cruising course timings vary greatly. The start time is normally 9am and the majority of the courses will require evening work either theory sessions alongside in the marina or night exercises.

Where do we go on the course?

A normal powerboat level 2 course will start and finish at Rhu Marina. During the course we will take in the sights and sounds of the River Clyde, Gare Loch and Loch Long, visiting places such as the Gantocks, Holy Loch Marina, and James Watt Dock.

The advanced powerboat course will go further afield to more challenging waters such as the Kyles of Bute and the upper River Clyde to practise vital skills such as pilotage, finding unlit buoys and night-time navigation. We chose Rhu Marina as our base because of its location and easy access to the Clyde and also because of the endless possibilities for teaching in all weather conditions.

Motor cruising course will go even further afield and take in places such as Cambletown, Loch Fyne, Ardrossan and Glasgow.

Will I be safe on-board?

Yes. Powerboating and Motor Cruising are both inherently safe sports when practised correctly - which a You & Sea RYA Training Course always is. Be assured you will be supervised and supported by a competent and professional Skipper or instructor who is RYA qualified. We recognise that many customers, particularly those new to boating, may be apprehensive about going to sea on what is considered a ‘small vessel’ (that is, one under 24 metres).So one of our main aims is to allay those fears and instil confidence - all our courses include a thorough introductory explanation and safety briefing - but we find that the best way to alleviate concerns is to actually go out on the water, get on with the powerboating, and start to enjoy yourself. Our instructors pay close attention to the weather forecasts and will never go out in conditions that are unsafe. Both our vessels are designed with performance and safety first. They are also subject to very stringent equipment and safety requirements with regular inspections administered by both the RYA and MCA (Maritime & Coastguard Agency). This also applies to our safety management systems and standard operating procedures - the safety and comfort of our customers is paramount.

What kind of boats do you have in your fleet?

We have 2 boats in our fleet. ‘Mustang’ is our powerboat and is a Humber Ocean Pro 6.8m rib. She has a single 150hp Evinrude E-tec engine, a deep-V hull and is capable of 35+kts.

Our flagship vessel is ‘Millbrook’. She is a Nelson 42, ex pilot boat and still retains much of her pilot boat layout today. She operates with twin 212hp Ford Sabre engines and has a cruising speed of 7-10kts.
Please click here to see pictures and more information about our training boats.

Are there toilets on-board your boats?

There are no toilets on our powerboat however we are never very far from facilities. There are 2 toilets (heads) on Millbrook.

Are there places to stay locally?

Yes, we are on the edge of Loch Lomond national park in a tourist area and there are lots of hotels & B&Bs in the area. Click here to view a list of local hotels and B&B's.

Shorebased Courses

What will I need to bring with me?

We will provide everything you need to complete your RYA shorebased theory course.  However, if you intend to do any of your own sailing or yacht-chartering then it would be a good idea to purchase your own set of plotters/dividers etc which are used to navigate using paper charts and are essential for maritime navigation. A good quality set will cost between £20 & £30, and should last a lifetime if treated well. These can be purchased either online or in the Chandlery in the marina. 

The Essential Navigation & Seamanship Course Pack comes with a set of plotters/dividers for you to keep, so purchasing additional ones is not necessary if you are doing this course.

What time should I arrive for my course?

All our theory/classroom courses start at 9am so please arrive at least ten minutes before that, in order to introduce yourself to your instructor and fill in the pre course paperwork.

Are there toilets & eating facilities?

Rhu Marina has full toilet and shower facilities as well as a café. There are a couple of hotels within walking distance of the marina or alternatively Helensburgh is a short drive away. You are of course more than welcome to bring your own packed lunch. Tea and coffee will be provided during your course.

Are there places to stay locally?

Yes, we are on the edge of Loch Lomond national park in a tourist area and there are lots of hotels & B&Bs in the area. Click here to view a list of local hotels and B&B's.

Course eligibility and suitability

How do I choose which course is right for me?

Please click here to see all the information including the syllabus & pre requisites for the courses. {link to course dates & prices page}

What is the I.C.C. and how do I get one?

The International Certificate of Competence or I.C.C. is otherwise known as the ‘Charter  Licence’. This is accepted internationally and allows you to charter vessels up to 10  metres in length (if Powerboat 2) or over 10m in length ( if Advanced Powerboat) either on a bareboat or flotilla-type charter. It is obtained by  completing the I.C.C. Application Form and you will require the following:

  1. Photocopy of your RYA Powerboat Level 2 or Advanced Powerboat certificate;
  2. Photocopy of your Passport Details / Photo Page;
  3. Counter-Signed Passport-Sized Photograph;
  4. The fee of £43.00 (free for RYA Members).

Direct Assessments for the ICC are available. Please contact the office for details.

General questions

Where do I find You & Sea ?

Rhu Marina, Rhu, Argyll & Bute, G84 8LH

Is there parking?

There is plenty free parking available at Rhu Marina.

What if I'm going to be late?

If you anticipate that you are going to be late for a course then phone 01436 640303 or 07732518858 at the earliest opportunity to let the instructor know.

Booking, payment, refunds and cancellations

How Do I Book a RYA Course?

To book a course with us, first just give us a call and we can discuss your requirements in more detail and make sure you are booking the right course for you. We will then send you an invoice for the course fee, which has to be paid to guarantee your place. To pay for a course please see details on our payments page, click here.

When do deposits / full price have to be paid?

Once you have spoken to the office then your space will be automatically reserved for 48 hours. To confirm your position on the course the full course fee is required,

What is Your Cancellation Policy?

  1. More than 2 weeks before, 50% of the total course fee will be refunded
  2. Less than 2 weeks before, unfortunately no refunds will be available.

Do the courses represent good value for money

In life you pretty much get what you pay for. We don’t pretend to be the cheapest but the course will be on well maintained first rate craft, and run by highly qualified instructors who are guaranteed to teach current best practice. We have great facilities in a marina offering a great all-round experience. Check out the other relevant pages on this website to see what we mean.

We also would hope that by attending a course at You & Sea you will be viewed as an Skipper or crew who has trained at one of the centres respected for delivering high quality career enhancing courses.

Working with both individuals and commercial organisations

Meet the Team

Working with both individuals and commercial organisations, meeting customer needs is our number one priority, along with establishing and maintaining a high level of customer service from the initial point of contact. 

Find out more

You & Sea, West of Scotland's RYA Marine Training Centre on the Gareloch

Our Base and Surroundings

You & Sea is an RYA centre based on the Gareloch, on the west coast of Scotland where the scenery and the boating is arguably unsurpassed around the world. There is always plenty of activity in this magnificent setting.

Find out more

Our Powerboat and Cruiser

Our Boats

The Mustang, designed with maximum versatility which would meet the demands of the professional dive, rescue and commercial operators, whilst its stylish looks appeal to the sports and leisure user alike. Ideal for RIB cruising enthusiasts.

Find out more

You & Sea, West of Scotland's RYA Marine Training Centre Courses

Our Courses

From RYA Practical Courses to our Free Training Consultancy Service and Courses for Commercial Organisations. Find out which course best suits you.

Find out more


© 2016 You and Sea Ltd • Rhu Marina, Rhu, Argyll G84 8LH • Telephone 01436 640303

We are a RYA Powerboat Training Centre