RYA Helmsman – 4 day course
This is an enhanced version of the 2 Day Helmsman course, which has been extended to 4 days to run alongside a Day Skipper Course. The usual Helmsman syllabus is followed, and students get a chance/time to really develop the core skills.
A great 4 day course to introduce you to motor cruising and undertaking short in-shore trips, such as through a harbour or down river to the local beach. Time is focused on developing the core slow speed handling skills and good ‘seamanship’ skills.
Topics taught on the course include:
- Boat preparation
- Boat handling
- Types of craft
- Engines and drives
- Engine operation and maintenance
- Safety and seamanship
- Rules of the road
- Securing to a buoy
- Berthing alongside
- Man overboard recovery
This course would suit someone who is looking to work their way up through the levels, but who hasn’t yet got the theory knowledge required to undertake the Day Skipper Practical course.
- 2nd – 5th March
- 5th – 8th April
- 3rd – 6th May
- 1st – 4th June
- 19th – 22nd July
To check availability and book please click here
Own Boat - £1200 (see notes below)
Our Boat Private Course - £3400 (see notes below)
Minimum age 12
- 4 days use of our Nelson 42, Millbrook
- Diesel and berthing fees
- Maximum 4 students
- Overnight accommodation if required
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks on board
- All bedding (inc. duvet)
- Use of a lifejacket for the course
What to bring:
- Cash for evening meals
- All the usual skippering equipment (pencils, erasers, notepads etc)
- Soft soled shoes
- Wet weather gear (contact us if you haven’t got any)
- Light wellies or waterproof shoes
- Clothes for the duration of the course
- Any medication
- Phone charger
Own Boat Course:
- This course can be conducted on your own boat, providing it is suitable for training. The cost above is a effectively a hire an instructor cost and the cost stays the same whether there are 1 of you or 4. The only additional costs from us would be travel costs to get to your location and the cost of certificates.
- During the course, you are responsible for the running costs of the boat such as fuel, berthing and food.
Private course on our boat:
- For a minimum of 1 student and a maximum of 4, you can hire our boat for a private course. The price includes all associated costs.