RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Prep
There is no fixed syllabus for this course. We work on areas in which you need practice and that the examiners tend to look at during the exam. We go through usual preparation subjects such as radar, boat handling, day and night pilotage, passage making, meteorology, IRPCS, engines, emergencies and using tides.
The Yachtmaster Coastal & Offshore Prep course normally runs over 4 days . We spend the days preparing and practising exam theory and skills, before the examiner joins us on the Friday morning for 1 or 2 days of exams (2 candidates per day).
Day 1 is spent getting used to the boat, including boat handling, seamanships skills and anchoring. Days 2 and 3 are spent practising navigation exercises around the Clyde and includes two night exercises using much the same routes that the examiner will use. Day 4 is spent consolidating everything learnt, including theory and ends back at Rhu that evening.
As part of your exam, you will be asked to produce a longer distance passage plan, which your examiner will expect you to explain. Time during the course will be spent on this but some own time study is needed.
- 25th – 30th October – 1 spaces
- 22nd – 27th November – FULL
- 29th November – 2nd December – FULL
- 13th – 18th December – 4 spaces
To check availability and book please click here
4 days + 1 to 2 days for the exam.
Own Boat - £1200 (see notes below)
Our Boat Private Course - £3980 (see notes below)
NB - The Exam Fee is NOT included in the course fee.
RYA Yachtmaster Coastal (£189)
RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (£220)
Minimum age: 17.
- 4 days use of our Nelson 42, Millbrook
- Diesel and berthing fees
- Maximum 4 students
- Overnight accommodation if required
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks on board
- All bedding (inc. duvet)
- Use of a lifejacket for the course
What to bring:
- All the usual skippering equipment (pencils, erasers, notepads etc)
- Soft-soled shoes
- Wet weather gear (contact us if you haven’t got any)
- Light wellies or waterproof shoes
- Clothes for the duration of the course
- Any medication
- Passport photo
- Phone charger
- Copy of Certificates/Logbook.
- Payment for the Exam Fee (Credit or Debit Card)
Own Boat Course:
- This course can be conducted on your own boat, providing it is suitable for training. The cost above is effectively a hire an instructor cost and the cost stays the same whether there are 1 of you or 4. The only additional costs from us would be travel costs to get to your location and the cost of certificates.
- During the course, you are responsible for the running costs of the boat such as fuel, berthing and food.
Private course on our boat:
- For a minimum of 1 student and a maximum of 4, you can hire our boat for a private course. The price includes all associated costs.
Please see our Certificates of Competence page for details of the pre-requisites – Certificates of Competence