RYA Powerboat Instructor Skills Assessment
This is a mandatory requirement ahead of the Powerboat Instructors course. If possible, assessment should be undertaken a few weeks before the Instructor course, but we always schedule assessments for the day before an Instructor course, just in case you can’t make it sooner. This is valid for 6 months.
This assessment assesses your boat handling skills and will expect you to be able to competently demonstrate capability in all of the areas identified as ‘Cans’ in the Powerboat Logbook (G20) to the level necessary to be able to demonstrate these areas to students. Your theory/background knowledge will also be assessed (eg your knowledge of charts/tides/col regs etc).
To check availability and to book click here
CANDIDATES FOR THE PRE-ASSESSMENT WILL BE EXPECTED TO DEMONSTRATE COMPETENCE IN:
- Holding off a mark
- Picking up and securing to a buoy
- Mooring alongside up/downtide
- Turning using warps
- Turning in a confined space
- Recovering a man overboard (dummy)
- Stopping and starting the engine
- Planing speed manouevers
- Theory including charts, tides, buoyage, colregs and pilotage
- Minimum of 16 years old
- Powerboat Level 2 Certificate