RYA VHF Radio
This radio operator qualification authorises the holder to operate a short range marine VHF radio, both with or without Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on board any British vessel that is voluntarily fitted with radio equipment.
This qualification is a legal requirement for marine VHF users throughout the world. It is also useful to know what to do if you ever require assistance.
Please see the information below with regard to your VHF Exam;
- 22 April 2022
- 26 May 2022
- 16 June 2022
- 04 July 2022
- 01 August 2022
- 28 September 2022
- 04 October 2022
- 09 November 2022
- 15 December 2022
To check availability and book please click here
1 day theory course, including 3 hours home study before the course, plus additional exam time (2 hours approx.)
Off site Course - £300 (see notes below)
1:1 Private Course - £500 (see notes below)
- Use of our classroom
- RYA SRC Course Book
- Use of our Training VHF Radios
- Refreshments throughout the course
What to bring:
- Notepad and pen
- Passport size photo
- Please click here for details of the ‘pre payment’ for the VHF Exam which costs £60pp and isnt included in the course price.
- The exam will take the following form: 30 minutes Written Exam, then 15 minutes familiarity of radios, followed by Practical Assessment – covering Routine, Mayday, Pan Pan, Security calls including using DSC Alerts.
- Once you have completed the course, there are 2 exam options available;
- Be examined on the same day, 1700 hrs. to approx. 1900 hrs. This will be in a group no greater than 4, by an examiner other than your instructor.
- Arrange another day with us to be examined, by an examiner other than your instructor.
- This course can be conducted on your own premises, providing it is suitable for training. The cost above is effectively a hire-an-instructor cost and the cost stays the same whether there are 1 of you or 9. The only additional costs from us would be travel costs to get to your location and the cost of certificates.
- During the course, you are responsible for any additional costs such as venue hire and meals.
Private 1:1 Course:
- We can organise a private course for all our shorebased courses in our classroom in Rhu. The price includes all associated costs.
Minimum age: 16.
“— Christopher – August 2021
I found that getting the opportunity to use the radio during the course...”
“— Brian – August 2021
The overall course content and relaxed teaching left me feeling well-informed but able...”
“— James – November 2018
"A small, cheerful, professional team who deliver competent and effective training with an...”
“— Bethiane – May 2019
I found the practice on the VHF radios very helpful and the practice...”
“— Douglas, August 2017
As well as the VHF course itself, I much appreciated Euans anecdotal info...”
“— Catherine – May 2021
Practical hands-on using the radio and actually making the calls. Excellent. Very professional...”