SQA Use of Radar & Electronic Chart System in Code Vessels
*** NEW COURSE FOR 2021 ****
You & Sea have SQA approval for the Level 3 Award in Maritime Studies: Use of Radar and Electronic Chart Systems in Code Vessels.
The Award has 2 modules; Use of Radar for Safe Navigation and Collision Avoidance on Domestic and Code Vessels, and Operate Non-ECDIS Marine Electronic Chart Systems. Both need to be completed to gain the full award however the modules can be studied individually.
Whilst initially aimed at meeting the training requirements of the 2014 Workboat code, these units will be of benefit to skippers of code vessels and the content is similar to the MCA Small Ships Navigation and Radar Course. The MCA have confirmed in MIN 522 the Radar module can be used on its own for the radar endorsement under the Boatmaster scheme.
Use of Radar in Code Vessels:
- Radar Set up
- Screen orientation
- Clutter controls
- Interfacing with chart plotter systems
- Radar use in Collision avoidance
- Manual plotting
- Use of MARPA/automatic plotting
- and more
Electronic Chart Systems:
- Interfacing with Radar and AIS
- Types of Electronic Charts
- Vector v Raster Charts
- Over reliance on the chart plotters
- Auto routing vs manual route plotting
- and more.
The Radar course can be completed individually to fulfil the MCA’s requirements for the Radar endorsement to the Boatmaster Qualifications.
- 8th-12th March
- 26th – 30th April
- 7th-11th June
- 12th – 16th July
- 30th Aug – 3st September
- 11th – 15th October
- 1st – 5th November
- 5 days tuition in our modern training classroom in Rhu Marina
- USB Stick with supporting course notes and material
- Use of our Plotter and dividers for the duration of the course.
- Light refreshments throughout the course
What to bring with you:
- Note pad
- Laptop (if you have one)
- Previous navigational experience to Day Skipper standard.
- Previous seagoing experience and sea time fulfilling MCA’s requirements for Commercial Vessels