Motor Boat Handling
The Motor Boat handling course will go a long way to relieving those feelings of apprehension when the time comes to carry out a manoeuvre in a tight marina or in windy conditions. Your experienced instructor will explain the main factors that affect how a large motor boat handles under power and armed with this information you will have the chance to put theory into practice in a variety of situations.
You will come away with a better understanding of how windage, prop walk, tide, rudder shape and prop wash effect your yacht and indeed can in many cases be harnessed to help you pull off a perfect manoeuvre. Subjects that are covered on the day include single engine driving, use of springs, med style berthing, stern first berthing, confined space manoeuvres, down/up tide berthing, down/up wind berthing, use of mid-ship lines and also a few handy tips to use when coming into the marina with low crew numbers or single handed.
New for 2021, we are now able to split the course into 2 and offer the morning on Millbrook, learning about twin engine boat handling and the afternoon on Orca, learning about single engines and bow thrusters.
- Dates coming soon.
Our Boat - £300pp (3 people required)
Private 1:1 Our Boat - £1000 (see notes below)
- 1 days use of our Nelson 42, Millbrook or our Albin 28, Orca
- Maximum 4 students
- lunch and snacks on board
- Use of a lifejacket for the course
What to bring:
- All the usual skippering equipment (pencils, erasers, notepads etc)
- Wet weather gear (contact us if you haven’t got any)
- Any medication
Own Boat Course:
- This course can be conducted on your own boat, providing it is suitable for training. The cost above is a effectively a hire an instructor cost and the cost stays the same whether there are 1 of you or 4. The only additional costs from us would be travel costs to get to your location.
- During the course, you are responsible for the running costs of the boat such as fuel, berthing and food.
Private course on our boat:
- This course can be run as a private 1:1 course on either of our Motor Boats. The price includes all associated costs.
Practical skills to the level of Day Skipper.